Korea-a look beyond the travel brochures

Insights from my life in South Korea; an expat perspective

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

South Korea in Perspective



Like so many people I know, when were told we were moving to Korea, I wasn’t sure exactly where it was. So I went to the library and looked on the big globe.
When I announced that I was moving to South Korea, the librarian told me that her daughter lived in Japan and that it was near Japan.
That was a life changing day for me. I checked out a DVD called “Video Vacations-Tour Korea” I think it was then that I began to fall in love. I had no idea that it had such a rich cultural heritage. In this blog I will be sharing things I have learned and I invite others to share your stories and comments too.

To put Korea in perspective…


It is a country about the size of the U.S. state of Indiana, yet despite this it continues to be a player on the world stage.

It is a country of over 48 million people, many of them residing in Seoul, the nation’s capital.

Seoul is very unique, as the Captial, it is the home of the government functions, embassies, the arts and entertainment. So it is like having New York, Washington D.C. and Hollywood all rolled into one dynamic city.

Mountains cover 70% of the land mass, making it one of the most mountainous regions in the world. It is said that you cannot stand anywhere in South Korea and not see mountains in the distance.

The habitation of early man in Korea appears to have started about half a million years ago.the first kingdon, named Gojoseon was formed in 2333 BC.
So it has a very rich and ancient history.

These are just a a few of the fascinating aspects of Korea-

More to come..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog!
Amanda